Saturday, March 17, 2012

Novita Trattortia and Wine Bar in Garden City


Located in the heart of Garden City, Novita Trattortia and Wine Bar is a trendy, but cozy location with an excellent wine selection. It does not matter when you go, there is always a decent amount of people inside, especially by the bar and high top tables. They seem to have a very loyal clientele, and with the great weekly deals and superb wine selection, it is no wonder why Novita has its customers constantly coming back for more.  It is on the pricier side, but it is definitely worth saving your money to enjoy a night out sipping wine and eating absolutely delicious Italian food.

I went there last night to catch up with two of my old friends from high school. We all follow traditional Lenten practices and were all prepared to enjoy our meals without meat. It was hard, especially since many meat options on the menu are extremely delectable, such as prosciutto white pie and the chianti marinated skirt steak. However, we had options that were equally as appetizing. We decided to share three dishes, and we also ordered the fondue appetizer to start. Yes, we went overboard, but it is not very often that we see each other and we decided to celebrate!

The fondue appetizer consisted of provolone, fontina, and parmesan cheese cooked with prosecco wine. As dippers to this amazing fondue are sliced apples, grapes, and cubed pieces of warm focaccia bread. I have only been to Novita three times, and every time I come, I must get this appetizer. It is perfect and a must-have for all cheese lovers. For our entrees, we ordered five mushroom truffle, a thin-crusted white pizza made with creamy ricotta cheese topped with mushrooms, polenta crusted calamari served with a spicy marinara sauce, and baked parmesan spinach and artichoke dip served with warm, homemade potato crisps.  However, what completed our entire meal and experience was our wine. We bought a bottle of Cadonini Pinot Grigio. It is probably one of the cheapest wines one the menu, but it is still very delicious and fruity with a hint of citrus. Sadly, I wish I remembered to take more pictures of the dishes we chose. I only was able to take a picture of the last two pieces of the Five Mushroom Truffle Pizza. 

I absolutely love going to Novita Trattortia and Wine Bar. Like I said, it can be quite expensive (luckily my friend gets a discount), but sometimes the price can be worth it due to the overall quality of food and the enjoyable atmosphere that Novita provides to its patrons. Although I have never had to wait for a table, I recommend making a reservation especially for parties of over 2 people after 7pm.  Novita is located in 860 Franklin Avenue in Garden City.


- MC

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this food sounds amazing. You're making me want to go there tonight!! I do tend to go for less expensive nights out but this food really sounds like it'd be worth the cost. Thanks again for your review. Catharine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I'm a vegetarian yet my family is from Italy (Mom was born there),and it can be difficult to find quality traditional food that can lay off the prosciutto. I am a big fan of mushrooms and truffle oil, especially when paired with the right cheeses. This place is certainly on my "must try" list. Thanks guys!

    ~ Natasha

    ReplyDelete