Friday, March 16, 2012

Black Forest Haus In Farmingdale




Typically when I am intending to go out to dinner, my usual “go-to” restaurants are not serving German cuisine. In fact, I have never even been to an exclusively German restaurant until this experience.

Unfortunately, when my boyfriend and I arrived at Black Forest Brew Haus in Farmingdale, they had already stopped seating people to dine inside. However, we were more than welcome to order food to go.  Since German food was completely new for the both of us, we wanted to have as authentic of a meal as possible. We ordered two entrees that are from the German Specialties section of the menu: Jager Schnitzel (plate on the right) and the Plowman’s Platter (plate on the left). My boyfriend’s dish, the Plowman’s Platter consisted of grilled veal bratwurst, knockwurst, and pork bratwurst braised in the restaurant’s homemade lager and sauerkraut and German potato salad as sides. My dish was tender breaded veal cutlet pan-fried and smothered in brown gravy with mushrooms, and potato dumplings and red cabbage were served as sides. In addition to our meals, we also ordered handmade soft pretzels, and an extra side of red cabbage. Our ravenous appetites served us well because the restaurant has a policy that if you spend over a certain amount of money, the Black Forest Brew Haus gives you a complimentary ½ gallon jug of homemade beer!

It was not until we finally arrived home and set up our plates that we realized how much food we ordered. The portion sizes were extremely large and everything smelled incredible. The homemade pretzels were absolutely delicious and my veal was cooked to absolute perfection. My boyfriend undoubtably loved his meal; he cleaned his entire plate! I am not a typical beer drinker, but I definitely enjoyed our free jug with our meal. It was light and not overly foamy. It went perfect with our enterees and I would positively recommend trying it.

Another awesome aspect to the restaurant is that they are currently serving non-meat specials during the Catholic season of Lent. This is even great for all of the vegetarians out there that would love to encounter a taste of German excellence without feeling limited by the menu.  

Even though I did not dine inside Black Forest Haus, I had a generally amazing first-time experience. My level of satisfaction was of complete delight especially towards the quality of food I chose off the “to-go” menu.  The food was absolutely delicious and although I only had a brief meeting with the staff, they were all extremely friendly and accommodating.  Also, the atmosphere inside feels fun and exciting. They have events for almost every night of the week, and I look forward to dining inside next time!

Black Forest Haus is located minutes away from Suny Farmingdale at 2015 New Highway in Farmingdale. Be sure to check out their website at http://www.blackforestbrewhaus.com/ordereze/default.aspx. It offers everything from gift cards, to event calendars, and menu options.



Enjoy!

MC

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you did a review on Black Forest! I've met many people that have told me to try this restaurant, and have only heard great things. I also love how they have non-meat specials for Lent.

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete