Saturday, April 14, 2012

Pollos el Paisa in Westbury


Your first impression of Pollos el Paisa will probably be: “Wow, what a small place!” However, the saying, “Good things come in small packages,” only begins to describe the experience in which you will embark on when dining there.

Don’t get me wrong, the restaurant is extremely tiny. They seemed to somehow squeeze in the amount of tables in a space that should be double the size. I would not recommend coming here for as a large party, but for a small group of people is ideal for a place such as Pollos el Paisa.

Most importantly, the food is outrageously delicious. The prices are extremely inexpensive and the plate portions are huge. Every inch of the plate is covered with food. Although the menu provides a wide variety of food, the trying namesake of Pollos el Paisa is a must! The rotisserie chickens are marinated and cooked to perfection. These birds are impeccably flavored. The savory juices surprise your mouth and it is love at first bite!

The last time I was there, I decided to try something new and not from the rotisserie side of the menu. A native dish of Columbia, Bistec a Caballo is a dish consisting of a top round steak sitting under a tomato sauce topped with two fried eggs. I never had an egg over a steak before, but now I absolutely love the combination. The tender steak and lightly salted egg complement one another excellently.

To get a small taste of the whole menu in one dish, try the mountain platter or the Bandeja Paisa. It includes chicken plus fried pork belly, grilled skirt steak, a fried egg, plantains, avocado, rice and beans. All of that delicious, mouthwatering food in one dish is priced at less than $12! You can’t beat that price.





Also, to truly get a feel of Colombian cuisine: ask your server for the list of Colombian drinks that they carry. Besides the shakes, one of my favorite things to drink there is an apple soda called Postobon de Manzana. It is so rich in apples that you definitely order a second!



All in all, Pollos el Paisa provides an enjoyable environment with a courteous wait staff, wallet friendly prices, and out-of-this-world authentic Colombian cuisine. Are you curious for a taste? For more information visit their website at http://www.polloselpaisali.com, or just stop by! Pollos el Paisa is located at 989 Old Country Road in Westbury.


-MC

2 comments:

  1. The food looks absolutely amazing! I think it’s deff worth taking a trip to go try. The tiny unknown places always have the best food. Thanks for letting the secret on this place. Looking forward to trying it out! - Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree wit the comment posted above "the tiny unknown places always have the best food". I love the way the food looks like a homemade meal which you don't see so much anymore in most places.

    well done post.

    _N

    ReplyDelete