Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Breakfast at IHOP


When you think of going out to breakfast, many people immediately think of the International House of Pancakes. Not only are they famously known for their rich and creamy pancakes, but everything from their home fries to omelets is anything short of heavenly delicious. I used to think that going to IHOP meant eating food heavily cooked in butter or saturated in grease. However, IHOP has a new menu specifically catered to individuals trying to watch their carbohydrate intake and sodium content. The new Simple & Fit option is sporadically located throughout the menu to allow customers to see various alternatives to their favorite dishes within their nutritious goals. 

Last week, my friend and I recently took considerate advantage of this aspect of the menu as we treated ourselves to an IHOP breakfast. Against my better judgment, however, I simply had to indulge in an International House Roast French Vanilla Coffee.  It is one of my favorite things to get at IHOP, especially because it is generously topped with whipped cream.


Sticking true to our new-found diets, we both ordered the Spinach, Mushroom, and Tomato Omelet from the Simple & Fit category of the menu. For only 330 calories, I happily ate an omelet made with egg substitute, fresh spinach, mushrooms, onions, Swiss cheese, and diced tomatoes. Also, seasonal fresh fruit are served a substitute to the home fries. The entire plate was completely up to par with IHOP standards, and I did not even miss the bacon, sausage, or home fries that usually accompany my dish.


I know that for many people, my IHOP experience will be very different. IHOP is prominently known for their buttermilk pancakes made from simple and wholesome ingredients. Nothing from the Simple & Fit menu can over compete with classic choices and mouthwatering items from IHOP, but for those that want to indulge in breakfast outside of home without feeling guilty: IHOP has a considerable amount of tasty options that will leave you and your stomach feeling very satisfied. 

-MC

3 comments:

  1. I love IHop. My favorite meal is the Grilled Tilapia Hollandaise. It's awesome especially for fish dish at a breakfast restaurant. Thanks for the new info about the simple and fit menu. I haven't been there in a while but I will be going there soon after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last comment was made by Catharine FYI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I am in IHOP, I get the Nutella Crepes. They're so good.
    I also get what you got when I'm trying to be healthy.
    -Karla R.

    ReplyDelete